Pages

Monday 6 July 2015

RECENT WATCH: MY THOUGHTS ON JURASSIC WORLD

Photo Credit: http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/jurassic-world-stomps-over-worldwide-box-office-records/

Before last week I had only seen one Jurassic park movie. I can’t even tell you which one it was. Perhaps for this reason I had little interest in Jurassic World, it was simply a summer adventure movie that I wasn't rushing to the cinema for. As someone who looks at IMDb multiple times a day I had been aware of the Jurassic World announcement, tracked the casting choices and watched the trailer after its release. Yes I knew the ins and outs of a film I didn't even want to see.

It wasn't until hearing positive reviews and surrounding hype that the dinosaur flick actually caught my interest.

The plot of Jurassic World interestingly comments on society. It explores themes of genetic modification and the constant struggle to maintain consumer interest. These are executed well and add layers to a seemingly simple plot.  It is a fun and a satisfying cinema experience. I just had a few problems with it.

The characters are so one dimensional. There’s an uptight business woman whose only care is the success of the park, the male action hero, two young boys who are simply there to be dropped in to Jurassic danger and the villain who wants to weaponise Velociraptors, caution (and sense) to the wind. I also often found myself laughing at the cheesy scenes with clunky dialogue while just cringing at the scripted ‘comic relief’.  An hour in to the movie I have to admit that I couldn't care about the characters in the way you want to in a movie with chase and suspense as one of the biggest selling points. To give credit where it’s due; the best character by far was ‘Owen’, played by Chris Pratt. Just like last year’s Guardian of the Galaxy, Pratt fits seamlessly in to the action star role.

Jurassic world is what you expect it to be, a high action adventure with enough dinosaur jump scares to keep excitement up for the two hour run time. Unfortunately the lack of character development has put a dampener on it for me and I won’t be rushing to watch it again upon its DVD release. 


No comments:

Post a Comment